I’ve been getting more into my sewing lately. It started with a skirt, then I did a bunch of tailoring, then I felt confident enough to tackle a pattern. I used a Simplicity pattern, and step by step (and with some YouTube video help) I managed to make my way to a finished product, complete with hidden zip and bodice lining! The only problem was that somewhere along the line, I’d messed up my measurements. While all in pieces I really wasn’t sure if it was going to fit, but I sewed it together anyway. I didn’t know how to go about pinning it on myself and what I really wanted was a mannequin to pin everything on to. But I have quite an unusual body (doesn’t everyone?), so even an adjustable dress form wasn’t going to be ideal. I decided to make my own DIY dress form.
I spotted this a couple of times on Pinterest, and decided to go with these instructions. They were very simple – get some gummed paper tape, wrap yourself up in plastic (I used cling film rather than a plastic bag), and then apply three layers of the tape, wetting each piece before applying it.
The instructions also said to leave it to dry for several hours, but my back is bad and I got uncomfortable and cranky, so ended up only drying it for around 30 minutes before cutting myself out. It doesn’t seem to have affected it, though. It still looks like my slightly wonky body. It’s interesting, whenever I tell people I have scoliosis, they always say they can’t see it at all, but you can definitely see it on my paper me!
All in all, a successful DIY! It’s about 5mm bigger than I am, so I might close it a bit tighter at the back. I’m finally going to return to the ill-fitting dress next week, unpicking the bodice (which fits) from the fabric (which doesn’t), pinning it on the dress form and then sewing the hems a bit tighter. Hooray!
PS: downside of having a dress form hanging around the house… Peter’s father came to stay this week, so Nora (as I’m calling it) came to stay in our room. It’s kind of creepy!